Happy National Peanut Butter Day!
Is there a calendar out there on the internet somewhere for all the national food holidays? I am certainly not complaining about them all- just want to make sure I am keeping up! Today we celebrate one of my long time loves- peanut butter. Would you believe me if I said that I used to eat Eggo waffles with Skippy peanut butter and syrup every. single. morning. of my elementary, middle and high school days. And not the good quality syrup either, it was the sugar water Mrs. Butterworths kind. If you knew my mom you would really be shocked about this.
These days, I still eat the same amount of peanut butter but in a very different way. For one, I love my artisinal peanut butters like Wild Friends, Nutzo, Spread the Love to name a few. I still love peanut butter and syrup as you will see in this recipe but now I try to use the good stuff and I don’t eat it for breakfast… usually.
This super easy recipe calls for:
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- peanut butter (as little or as much as you would like)
To make, simply:
- blend cocao powder, coconut oil and maple syrup in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- line your muffin (mini or regular) tin with liners
- cover the botton of the liner with chocolate mixture
- cover that layer with peanut butter
- cover that layer with more chocolate (if you want to make them absolutely beautiful, freeze each layer for at least 20 minutes in between- I did not have the patience for this)
- placed the finished product in the freezer for 30 minutes and enjoy!
(store in an air tight container in the fridge or freezer)