Last week, I experimented with paleo blueberry muffins for a work potluck but they didn’t turn out the way I hoped so hubs got to eat them all… and he loved them. So this week I decided to try another recipe as I continue to learn more about baking with flour alternatives. These muffins are inspired by Grok Grub with a few of my own touches.
Materials needed: 2 bowls, muffin tin, hand mixer (or immersion blender).
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 cup shredded coconut (I used sweetened- if you want a little less sweet, use unsweetened or decrease the honey)
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 eggs, separated
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups of blueberries
- more shredded coconut for the top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with muffin cups.
- Combine the almond flour, coconut flour, shredded coconut, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Mix egg yolks, honey, coconut oil and vanilla extract in a separate bowl. Then add to the dry mix and combine.
- Whip the egg whites with a hand mixer until they form peaks. Mine did not form peaks because I used an immersion blender but the muffins turned out just fine. As long as you whip them somehow, they should be okay.
- Stir the egg whites in to the batter and then fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon mix in to muffin tins and top with shredded coconut.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
Here is a little more info on healthy baking substitutes if you are feeling creative and adventurous!